Register now for Free unrestricted entry to Reuters.com
LONDON, July 5 (Reuters) – Listed here are five information about Britain’s new finance minister Nadhim Zahawi, appointed by Key Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday subsequent the resignation of Rishi Sunak. examine much more
– Zahawi, 55, was born in Iraq and moved to Britain in the mid-1970s when his Kurdish family members fled the rule of Saddam Hussein.
– A extended-standing member of the Conservative Get together, Zahawi labored in the 1990s as an aide for novelist and politician Jeffrey Archer, who was jailed for perjury in 2001.
Sign up now for Totally free unrestricted entry to Reuters.com
– In 2000 he co-started the polling business YouGov and was its chief government right up until 2010, turning the corporation into just one of Britain’s leading current market analysis companies.
– Zahawi ran in the 2010 typical election as the Conservative Celebration applicant for Stratford-on-Avon and won. His good results in business prompted then primary minister David Cameron to appoint Zahawi to the plan unit in Downing Avenue.
– Soon after performing in junior ministerial roles in the education and small business departments, he was appointed minister in demand of the COVID-19 vaccine rollouts in 2020. In 2021, Boris Johnson appointed him to the cabinet as education secretary.
(This tale corrects to exhibit Zahawi moved to Britain in the 1970s, not 1990s)
Register now for Totally free unrestricted access to Reuters.com
Reporting by Andy Bruce editing by Deepa Babington
Our Criteria: The Thomson Reuters Believe in Principles.